An overview of R&D Lab at Factory, Kanjikode
The R&D laboratory is housed in the factory premises at Kanjikode, Kerala.
The laboratory is recognized as an in-house R&D by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
• Monitoring production activities
• Quality control
• Product and process studies.
• New product development.
The functions are executed in three departments
• Chemistry Department
• Botany Department
• Microbiology Department
• Product development section.
The activities in various departments are as detailed below:-
• Quality control of the basic raw materials for production like oil, ghee, Jaggery, sugar, honey, butter etc.
• Every lot of such materials are subjected to the quality tests. The materials conforming to the in-house quality parameters alone are taken to production . The non-conforming materials are rejected
• In-process quality control of various production procedures
• Quality checks on finished products
• Exploratory studies on products
• Studies on herbal residues
• The whole range of herbs that comes to production are tested for their compliance with the in-house quality norms
• A thorough study on the spurious drugs present in the market is undertaken
• Provides leads to the new product development
• Conducts microbiological studies on various production areas and validates the sterile areas of production facility
• The total counts of various finished products as a part of quality control procedures.
• Generation of tissue culture saplings of endangered species of medicinal plants
• Studies on rooting cultures
Other R&D Activities
• A detailed documentation of activities like validation of processes and equipments, preparation of master formula records and batch manufacturing records as per WHO norms for the WHO-GMP accreditation of selected products
• Accelerated and real-time stability study of products
• Preparation of documents for export purposes to meet different International requirements
• Inputs for safe and effective excipients to Formulation Department
• Evaluating critical control points in production to meet the quality of the products
• New product development
• Biotechnological studies
• Conducting courses on request from colleges/universities on biosciences
Training programs in the R&D division of the The Arya Vaidya Pharmacy (Cbe) Ltd at Kanjikode, Palakkad -Kerala
1. Facility to do short term projects associated with Msc , Mphill programs of various universities in Chemistry, Botany, Biochemistry, Biotechnology and Microbiology .
2. Industrial Trainings for B.A.M.S and M.D (Ay) students, with .Special sessions on Q/C aspects - Duration -up to 1 month.
3. Projects on various industrial topics/herbs for M.D (Ay) students as a part of their thesis/dissertation work.
The projects are guided by trained experts in relevant fields. The fee structure is based on the nature of analytical work and duration of work.
Staff Members at R&D
(Director, IIA, Coimbatore)
Head of the Department
General Manager (R&D and Tech)
(Retd. Professor. Govt. Victoria College, Palakkad)
Chemists & Analysts
Quality Assurance Department
Jayakumar R. (Consultant)
Muhammed Ansar A. A.
Dr.Zainuddin Al Ameen